Adolescent dies from ear piercing infection in Santa Fe, Argentina

A young adolescent has died due to infection with an antibiotic resistant bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus) after an ear piercing. Doctors were unable to control the infection which did not respond to antibiotic treatment.

Advice For Travellers

Although this event is exceedingly rare, travellers should be cautious when obtaining skin piercings while travelling. Sterile instruments and techniques may not be available or practiced, and serious infections can result.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.