An unusual case of Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever in Pakistan

A veterinarian from the city of Gulistan-e-Jauhar has been hospitalized in Karachi due to Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic fever. So far this year, 9 people have died from this viral infection while 76 patients have been hospitalized.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever.

Advice For Travellers

Although the risk of exposure for the general traveller is low, in this case, the veterinarian was infected when he removed a tick from a sick dog with his bare hands. Usually, ticks bites or ticks removed from cattle are the primary source of infection. Travellers can minimize the risk of exposure by taking all necessary precautions to avoid tick bites especially when in contact with cattle. However, travellers should also be cautious when dealing with ticks found on domestic pets.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.