Another death from scrub typhus in Himachal Pradesh, India

A person from the Sirmaur district has died from scrub typhus after being bitten by an infected mite. In June, approximately 300 suspected cases were tested at the Indira Gandhi Medical College and Hospital in Shiml, and 45 were found to have positive laboratory tests.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Scrub Typhus.

Advice For Travellers

This illness is transmitted by the bites of infected mite larva (an insect). If diagnosed early, it can be successfully treated with readily available antibiotics. Travellers can reduce the risk of exposure to scrub typhus by taking all necessary precautions to avoid mite larva (insect) bites. If symptoms develop after mite bites, seek medical care at once.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.