Cluster of hantavirus infections found in Yosemite National Park, USA

In addition to the first 2 cases of hantavirus infection acquired in Yosemite National Park this summer, 2 new cases have been diagnosed, bringing the total to 4. Two of the cases have died. All 4 cases this year involved people who stayed in separate tent cabins located within 100 feet of each other in a Signature Tent Cabin in Curry Village in mid-June.

People typically become infected with this relatively rare disease from exposure to the droppings, urine, or saliva of wild deer mice that are infected with the virus. Symptoms often begin with fever, headache and muscle aches as late as 6 weeks after exposure. The infection can progress rapidly to a life-threatening respiratory symptoms. Travellers who stayed in tent cabins in Curry Village and who develop symptoms of hantavirus infection should seek immediate medical care.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Hanta Virus.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.