Consumption of contaminated alcohol kills 9 people in Indonesia

Nine people died after drinking alcohol mixed with insect repellents. The beverage was purchased from a street vendor in Prabumulih on the island of Sumatra. Deaths related to the ingestion of contaminated beverages are not uncommon.

Travellers are reminded to consume alcoholic beverages produced only by known manufacturers.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Food and Water Contamination.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.