Contaminated raw (unpasteurized) milk causes illness in Colorado, USA

Twenty suspected (8) and confirmed cases (12) of gastroenteritis caused by the bacteria Campylobacter became ill after consuming raw (unpasteurized) milk at the Larga Vista Ranch in Pueblo County. All cases reside in Pueblo and El Paso counties.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Food and Water Contamination.

Advice For Travellers

Health officials are warning consumers that drinking unpasteurized milk can pose severe health risks, and there is no method to assure the safety of raw milk. Travellers should avoid consuming unpasteurized milk and milk products.