Contaminated water supply causes major cholera outbreak in Chhota Udepur district in Gujarat, India

An overhead water tank supplying the Chhota Udepur district in Gujarat became contaminated with cholera. In the ensuing outbreak, 2 people died and approximately 350 people became ill. All travellers to any area where cholera has been reported can reduce the risk of exposure to this infection by strictly observing all food and water precautions. If gastrointestinal symptoms (e.g., vomiting and profuse watery diarrhoea) develop while visiting the affected area, travellers should seek medical care at once.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Cholera.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.