Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic fever death in Turkey

A person has died in the province of Tokat from Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic fever (CCHF) after being bitten by a tick while taking care of animals in the fields. This is the 1st person to die due to CCHF this year in Turkey. The number of tick bites increase as the weather warms and people engage in more activities outdoors. CCHF virus is generally transmitted from cattle and sheep to humans by exposure to infected animal blood or by bites from infected ticks. The infection can also spread from person to person by infected blood. Travellers can reduce the risk of exposure to CCHF by taking all necessary precautions to avoid tick bites, especially when in contact with cattle or other livestock in areas where this virus is common.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.