Death due to hantavirus in Argentina

A death due to hantavirus infection has been reported by authorities in the province of Salta. This person appears to have become infected in the town of Hipólito Yrigoyen. There are 5 other suspected cases under investigation.

Dust, food, and hands that are contaminated with the dried urine and excreta of infected rodents are the main source of hanta viruses. When the dust is stirred up during cleaning or working in rodent-infested places, people inhale the virus and become infected. Travellers can reduce the risk of exposure to hantavirus infection by avoiding situations that create dust in rodent infected areas.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Hanta Virus.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.