Deaths due to hantavirus in Tucumán, Argentina

Two people, a 5 year old child and a young woman, have died due to hantavirus infection. The disease was probably acquired in a rural area of Tucumán province. Health officials are on alert for any additional cases.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Hanta Virus.

Advice For Travellers

Contamination of dust, food, and hands with the dried urine and excreta of infected rodents, that are often stirred up during cleaning of rodent-infested premises, is the main way people become infected. Travellers can reduce the risk of exposure to hantavirus infection by wearing gloves and a mask when cleaning rodent infested areas. Sprinkle disinfectant on the floor before sweeping it to keep the dust down.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.