Dengue fever in Mexico and Central America
Cases and outbreaks of dengue fever are being reported throughout Central America by the following countries and localities:
- Mexico: more than 46,000 cases with 4 deaths. Affected states include Nayarit, Quintana Roo, Yucatan, among others.
- Costa Rica: 1,743 cases
- El Salvador: more than 8,600 cases
- Guatemala: more than 7,100 cases with 3 deaths
- Honduras 25,309 cases
- Nicaragua more than 11,800 cases
- Panama more than 1,000 cases. Most affected province is Veraguas, especially the Sona district.
All travellers to areas where the dengue fever virus is active can reduce their risk of exposure by taking all necessary precautions to avoid mosquito bites. Many persons with dengue fever do not seek medical care and are not reported to health authorities. There may be many more cases in the community than the reports indicate.