Food poisoning leaves 21 sick after eating frozen meat cutlets in Japan

Health officials said that 21 persons became ill with gastroenteritis after eating frozen cutlets made from minced beef and pork. The contaminated food was sold by a meat company, Niku No Ishikawa in Hiratsuka. A serious strain of E.coli bacteria that can cause kidney failure was isolated from 5 of the patients.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Food and Water Contamination.

Advice For Travellers

Travellers can reduce the risk of exposure to the many germs that cause intestinal illness (such as cholera, E.coli, salmonella, and many viruses) by avoiding consumption of contaminated food and water (especially when sold by street vendors) and by practising careful personal hygiene with frequent hand washing.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.