Fourteen students and workers hospitalized after consuming food from street vendor

Health authorized have reported that 14 students and migrant workers have been hospitalized due to food poisoning. The cases consumed food purchased from a street vendor. An initial investigation showed that the illnesses may be due to possible nitrite poisoning. No deaths have been reported.

Travellers are reminded that food and beverages purchased from street vendors may be contaminated with a variety of chemicals, bacteria, viruses and parasites. Travellers should avoid consuming unsafe food and water.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Food and Water Contamination.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.