Guests at sports hostel in Nagambadom, Kerala, India, hospitalized with food poisoning

Thirteen students staying at the women's sports hostel in Nagambadom were hospitalized with acute diarrhoea (food poisoning) following consumption of food from the hostel the previous night.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Food and Water Contamination.

Advice For Travellers

While the risk for the general traveller is low, people who stay at youth hostels should be cautious and follow all food an water precautions. All travellers can reduce the risk of exposure to the many germs found in food and water that cause intestinal illness (such as cholera, E.coli, salmonella, and many viruses) by following food and water recommendations. Practise careful personal hygiene with frequent hand washing.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.