Legionellosis in tourist hotel in Spain

One of the 7 people who became infected with Legionnaires' Disease while staying at the tourist Hotel Jamie I in Salou has died. Exposure occurred between August 29 and October 1.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Legionnaires' Disease.

Advice For Travellers

Although the hotel is now closed, any travellers who stayed at the hotel during this period and who develop serious respiratory symptoms should seek medical care as soon as possible. Legionnaire's Disease usually occurs following exposure to warm water aerosols since the bacteria are inhaled through water droplets in water sprays or mists. Exposure can occur in or around hot tubs, showers, or from air conditioning systems in buildings with poorly maintained cooling towers.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.