Multiple drug resistant infections following piercings in Santa Fe, Argentina

In Santa Fe, a 14 year old child died due to an overwhelming infection with a multiple-drug resistant staph infections after an ear piercing. In addition a 20 year old person was in critical condition with meningitis, pneumonia and a serious eye infection due to the same bacteria following a nose piercing. The place of the piercings and the technique used is not reported.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Encephalitis and Meningitis.

Advice For Travellers

Travellers should be cautious when obtaining skin piercings and tattoos and ensure that piercing establishments are officially sanctioned and that properly sterilized equipment is use.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.