Outbreak of trichinosis in Argentina

The consumption of dry sausage in the city of Bahia Blanca, that is located in the southwest of the province of Buenos Aires, has caused an outbreak of the parasitic disease trichinosis. At least 100 cases have been reported, with about 20 percent being children.

Advice For Travellers

Trichinosis is a parasitic disease caused by eating partially cooked pork or pork products that are contaminated with a parasitic roundworm called Trichinella. There may be no symptoms or there may be a variety of symptoms depending on the location of the invading worm larva. Intestinal invasion can cause diarrhea, abdominal pain or vomiting. Larval migration into muscle tissue (one week after being infected) can cause swelling of the face or around the eyes, eye inflammation, fever, muscle pains, small hemorrhages, and rashes.

While the risk is low for the general traveller, the risk can be avoided by ensuring that all pork and pork products are thoroughly cooked.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.