Physician dies from Chagas infection in Pará, Brazil
A physician in the state of Pará has died due to Chagas disease. In 2014, there were 137 casos and 2 deaths reported in the state. The most affected areas were Metropolitan Belém, Marajó and Abaetetuba.
The risk to travellers is generally low. This risk is increased if travellers camp, stay in poorly constructed housing, obtain unscreened blood transfusions, or ingest contaminated food or drink in areas (usually rural) where the insect that transmits Chagas disease resides. Travellers who cannot avoid camping, sleeping outdoors, or staying in poor quality housing should sleep under insecticide-impregnated bed nets and tuck in the edges to protect against the insect bite.