Salmonellosis - food poisoning strikes 19 people after eating in Chistopol, Republic of Tatarstan

After eating dinner in one of the largest hypermarkets in Chistopol, Republic of Tatarstan, 19 people suffered almost immediate food poisoning. Of these, 17 were treated in a local hospital. Further investigation of the exact source of the infection is underway.

Travellers should always be aware of the possible risk of food poisoning. To reduce the risk, travellers should adhere carefully to food and water precautions while travelling anywhere.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Food and Water Contamination, Salmonellosis, and Traveller's Diarrhoea.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.