Toxic sardines in Madagascar

Health authorities have reported an outbreak of food intoxication due to toxic sardines contaminated by poisonous seaweed.

A total of 14 deaths and 120 seriously ill persons have been reported after consuming the toxic sardines.

Travellers should be aware of the risk of exposure to toxic food and use all necessary precautions to avoid consuming unsafe food and water.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Food and Water Contamination.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.