Unusual infections by Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever virus in Spain

A patient in Spain who was diagnosed with locally acquired Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic fever has died, and a nurse who provided medical care has also been infected. The original patient acquired the infection from a tick bite while walking in the countryside in the town of Ávila. Two hundred people are under surveillance for possible exposure to this virus through contact with the original patient.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever.

Advice For Travellers

The risk of exposure for the general traveller in Spain is very low. However, any symptoms of an infection following a tick bite should checked by a physician.

Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever virus is generally transmitted from cattle and sheep to humans by exposure to infected animal blood or by bites from infected ticks. Travellers can reduce the risk of exposure by taking all necessary precautions to avoid tick bites, especially when in contact with cattle or other livestock in areas where this virus is common.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.