Toxic turtle meat proves fatal in Madagascar

After eating turtle meat that was unknown to be poisonous, 5 people have died and 22 people were sent to the hospital in the Analanjirofo region. The turtle was caught by a local fisherman who sold the meat to the market.

Certain aquatic animals in this region, such as sardines and some turtles, are known to feed on toxic algae that do not harm the animals but could be fatal when ingested by humans.

Visit our Health Library for more information on exposure to and the prevention of Food and Water Contamination.

Advice For Travellers

Travellers can reduce the risk of exposure to the many germs and toxins that cause intestinal illness (such as cholera, E. coli, salmonella, and many viruses) by avoiding consumption of contaminated food and water (especially when sold by street vendors) and by practicing careful personal hygiene with frequent hand washing.

Global Monitoring To Keep You Safe While You Travel

Sign up your trip to receive real-time, exclusive travel alerts to help you stay safe while away from home.